La Estancia, Iguazu Falls and La Boca

March 14th, 2015 tlholl16

Part of what I love most about studying abroad in Argentina is the diversity of opportunities we have while we are here. We live in a huge city with new and exciting things to do every day of the week. Buenos Aires is a melting pot of so many European and Latin American cultures that we get to experience a little bit of everything. Here are a few photos from my experiences from the last few weeks!

As a part of my month long intensive Spanish course, we went to a traditional Estancia which is essentially a ranch with livestock and gauchos. Here I got to ride a horse for my first time! (I know, and I’m from Texas)

IMG_6290IMG_6298

One of the trips included with the Holy Cross study abroad program is a 5 day excursion to Iguazu Falls. We took a 15 hour bus ride there from Buenos Aires and it actually was pretty comfortable! The bus was nothing like what we have in the states. The seats were similar to what you might find flying 1st class. The falls were absolutely amazing, and although I’ve never been to Niagara falls, I find it hard to believe there could be a more grand or beautiful waterfall in the world. There were plenty of wildlife and creatures as well!

11045738_10206448155347522_1316950592_oDSC_0207 DSC_0222

Another trip included in my intensive Spanish was to La Boca, a neighborhood in Buenos Aires that is known for its bright colors and the tango. Many immigrants first arrived here has it is the “mouth” or Boca  of the port. Here, the tango developed and was initially a very scandalous dance.

DSC_0145DSC_0180